We want your Love My Jean Skirt to be modest and fit well.
Measuring to ensure the right fit is the MOST important part of the ordering process.
Please follow these steps to ensure a great fit:
We have found the most accurate way to measure is by measuring a jean skirt (or jeans) that fit you well.
To begin you will need 3 things.
- A jean skirt or jeans (you wear) that fit you well.
- A tape measure.
- A hard flat surface to lay your tape measure and skirt (or jeans) on.
How to measure: WAIST
1. Lay your tape measure down horizontal on flat surface.
2. Grab and hold the corners of the waistband (without stretching or allowing the front to scoop).
3. Without letting go, lay the waistband down against the surface right under the tape measure.
Your waist measurement will be double the flat measurement. For instance this skirt measures 15 1/2″ across. To get the waist measurement I had to double that. Doubling that makes the actual waist band measurement 31 “.
How to measure: WAIST to HIPS
1. Start with the top of your side seam waist band (be sure you are wearing a skirt that is the most comfortable fit for you).
2. Decide the widest part of your hips and measure from the top of your side seam waistband down to that point.
This is your WAIST TO HIP measurement.
How to measure: HIPS
Things to consider for modesty sake: To keep with modesty principles, it is important to decide how fitting you want your jean skirt to be. As you measure your hips, keep in mind, our measurements will typically be within 1″ or less of that measurement. If you are concerned about the fit, you may want to consider adding more inches to accommodate your modesty preference. In doing so, if the discrepancy becomes more than 6 inches between your waist & hips, it may be necessary for us to take in (by placing darts)your waist band (we will ask you before doing so). Keep in mind, the more discrepancy, the harder it is to find jeans to fit your order and the longer it can take to get your order complete.
This one is more tricky and can be done a couple of ways.
1. Using your waist to hip measurement follow the “Measuring Yourself” steps (bottom of the page) if you do not have a sample jean skirt to measure.
2. Using your waist to hip measurement, lay your jean skirt on a flat surface and measure the top of the side seam down to the waist to hip measurement point then measure across. EX: If the widest part of your hip is 6″ down from the top of your side seam you would measure that down to that point on your skirt (laying flat).
3. Once you have marked that point, you would then measure across . This would give you a flat measurement. You would again double that measurement for a total. EX: So 18.5″ across, you would double that and your hip measurement would be 37″.
How to measure:: Length
This can be done a couple ways as well.
1. You can use an existing skirt for a sample length. To do this, you could lay the skirt down on a flat surface and measure side seam down to the length you want.
2. While standing up (straight with your feet together), you could have someone measure (side seam) down to the desired length. The most important things to keep in mind is that we use side seam measurement for length.
Keeping it Modest: In deciding a short “modest” length what seems to work (and keep the knee covered when sitting) is by using by using the spot that ends the bottom of the knee. This seems to work most often and for Love My Jean Skirt we believe that a skirt should NEVER be shorter than this.
Now you can go here to “Submit Your Measurements”.
Below is a “How to Measure Yourself” tutorial. The is good to use when not skirt sample is available.
1. First measure around your waist wherever you want the waistband of your jean skirt to be. Don’t pull the tape measure tightly. We want to know how big your waist is, not how big you want it to be. This is your waist measurement.
Put a straight pin or safety pin on your side at this height.
Now you can submit your measurements here with a smile, knowing we will make a custom jean skirt just for you that’s going to fit great!